Thursday, December 2, 2010

Exam blues:( plus Random memories of UG life :)

     Now that i am done with all the examinations in my life (hope so :-/...), a rewind of those i have taken in my life becomes quite obvious for a nostalgic. 
      
     Right from my school days, these wretched events called exams used to tire and frustrate me. In-spite of being a very keen listener (only during school, as a matter of fact!!!), would not score high grades in the examinations due to minimal study at home. Maybe, that made me susceptible to all the worst grades earned during college :) 

      Came the tenth standard examinations which were played spoilsport with by the Cricket World Cup 2003. Most people of our batch prepared for the first "big" examination of our lives with eyes meandering between the books and the television!!!  Anyway, by God's grace most of us put up a decent score!!!

       Fortunately, or unfortunately, my entry into an Engineering College happened unplanned. I eliminated electronics and electricals since they were bitter lessons in Physics for me. Dad eliminated Civil, Mechanical etc for he thought that they were not "girlish" enough and would make his daughter weary. We zeroed in on "Computer Science" as somebody told me that it is "the student friendly" course which would never require hard core hard work as other courses do.

         First semester saw me being a "padips, aako" or however you call it. Constant visits to the computer lab (for i was a bio student @ school), early rising and regular studying, new tasks of getting my laundry done, cleaning utensils etc - believe me, i was this good girl during the first semester. Coming to the exam episode, scored fairly well. But i was very happy about my performance in the C programming lab exam!!! I think that was the first and last lab exam that i did very well!!!

        Then came the other semesters, with unforgettable relationships blossoming and me getting to be my "real irresponsible, lazy self". Studying was confined to the nights before the examinations with me, Ilakki and Sangee literally trying to get our heads into the books. We called those sessions "study sessions", but studies would take place only as a diversion from pulling each others' leg, my singing, sangee’s stories and ilaki's funny encounters with the seniors. To add fuel to the fire, students would be provided tea the night before the examination. We would happily waste half an hour or so just for getting it from the mess and drinking it. Once, ilak kicked me by mistake and made me limp for a day or two during a semester examination. That was very funny indeed!!! And for those exams which we studied alone, i would be dozing off often with Viji motivating me to study. She was a very patient creature trying to make me and Mahesh study. Alas!!! All her efforts would go in vain. She would even call us for snacks to refresh our "tired" minds. We go with her, eat them and be back to sleep!!!  Ah!!! Those beautiful days are being treasured in my heart!!!

         NCC was a different experience altogether exposing the unexplored side of our personae. NCC 'B' and 'C' certificate exams also had theory elements in them. Here too i had very good company in the form of Viji and Ilakki. Donno how i cleared those examinations with 'A' grading!!! God's grace again!!! They were one of the most important exams i attended since my morale had a great boost after the results were declared!!!

      For the past three semesters of my M.E., my semester exam preparations would find me sitting in a room all alone, with books in my hand, yawning, dozing etc... Exam preparations in solitude casted an abominable lull over my tormented mind...  I really missed you Viji, Ilakki, Sangi, Mahesh... :'(     

11 comments:

  1. awww!!! now dat was pretty nostalgic.....gues vry student somehw or de other undergoes dis phase in life (vara vara mother in law;donkey pola aanalam)....hehe..:)
    nd eur "abominable lull" did remind me of sme faculty of our scool...but duno who nd y....phew!!!gues it christraj sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. //vara vara mother in law;donkey pola aanalam// - nice metaphor kit!!!
    nd tat "abominable lull" - a phrase which i rembr due to my "over-enthu" towards english classes at school. im doubtful whether it was Mrs.Valsamma John or Mr.ChristRaj who taught us the lesson with that phrase!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehee...YIPIEEE...i was juz squeezin ma brains nd finally remembered it was during our class X wid the most adorable faculty Christraj sir handling the lesson "THE TRIBUTE" wid his own mesmerizing 'ganeer' voice.....chaaa wat gud old memories.....thanks a tonne dearie for bringing bak all gud old memories =).....

    ReplyDelete
  4. superb memory kittu!!! i remember only the crux of the matter but you remember even finer details!!! kudos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. our very own english classes....i love....=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Autobiography..!Inspite of your distress you are giving your life history as an example for up coming youths...!Thank you very much,..! Great thoughts never ruin. It should be sculptured in PMU ENTRANCE ARCH..! as well as in the great "TANJORE TEMPLE".so tat future generations can learn LESSONS... Good Job..!Buddy.!;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Extra Ordinary..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @viji: இவ்ளோ feeeeeeel பண்ணி ஒரு விஷயம் எழுதினா அனுபவிக்கனும். ஆராயக் கூடாது:-P pmu arch ok, இதுக்கு ஏன்டி தஞ்சாவூர் கோயிலெல்லாம் இழுக்கற?:-( இந்த பாவம் உன்ன சும்மா விடாதுடி:-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. You actually kindled my college days at PSG Tech.. i was in ECE though.. but those feelings around those exams are the same..

    Overall a very good post.. Keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. neat a iruku.. story selected autograph 2...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @mani: autograph 2 illanna, "happy days 2" :)

    ReplyDelete

Pages