Thursday, September 16, 2010

Futile laments :(

This is one more of my "delayed", sorry, "very much delayed" posts... 

Some incidents in the recent past have left me skeptical. "Do we live in a democratic country???"... "What on earth is this caste system for???"... etc etc

INCIDENT 1: My fragile physique gave me another opportunity to be at home for 10 odd days last month when i was taken ill. The medic at the hospital wanted me to come again the same day with my blood test results. With great difficulty and pain i got ready for the hospital visit that evening only to find out that the transport flow was solidified owing to a politician's "mega" meeting at the other end of Trichy. (I clarify that im not a supporter of any political party!!!). How many others would have had their daily life affected due to extravagant meetings as these??? At times, i do doubt whether ours is a democracy in the real sense. Anyway, I, one among the commoners of this republic, i think, can do nothing but to lament.

INCIDENT 2: Me and my room-mate Athira were beckoned by the Warden sister at hostel to interact with some girls who have joined CEG and their parents to clear their doubts about the hostel. They threw us sooooooo many questions about  mess timings, everyday menu, bus routes, frequency of buses etc etc. We were patiently answering their queries when one of the girl's mother, who looked well educated asked us, "நீங்க christian ah???" (meaning "Are you a christian?"). I was a bit perturbed by this odd interrogation and politely answered "இல்லை aunty" (no) and tried to divert the topic. She reverted back with another "INTELLIGENT" question which was, "நீங்க எந்த சாமி கும்புடுவீங்க??" (meaning "which god do you worship???"). She had asked me which caste i belong to in an indirect tone but poor me... I could not catch up the implication... Adding one more to my "astute answers", i innocently replied, "சிவன், விஷ்ணு, இந்த மாதிரி தான் கும்பிடுவோம்" ("as all hindus do, we worship sivan, vishnu only"). My goodness, i realized her intention only after some time and felt very bad on how i have made a fool of myself. Never before was i put forth an awkward question as this. She seemed well educated and talked about whether NIT is better than CEG...  Compared GATE and TANCET... blah blah blah... but  not ready to see a human as a human...  Dont know when this virulent caste system, plaguing the society will come to an end.

INCIDENT 3: This shoots back to my stint at home due to my battered physique. This one is kind of humorous. I got on a bus from the hospital to my place and found all the seats occupied. Inspite of many ladies standing, almost all the seats were occupied by valiant menfolk. I bet, i looked very ill and weak. Not even one noble soul was magnanimous enough to offer me a seat. A man, may be in his early 30s was ogling the girls who were standing when i was glancing whether anyone is willing to make me sit. The icing over the cake was that he was sitting in the Ladies' seat. Here i would like to express my appreciation to Chennai men who stand up instantly when seated on a ladies' seat, on seeing a lady stand.

Social changes, with all their noble intentions, fail to percolate down our rigid minds. 
So when are we gonna change???

3 comments:

  1. u av juz pulled out words from ma thots....
    May be there is no other way for Independent India than going through this 'dirty linen in public' exercise. One only hopes that such numeration would not deepen our wounds further...wich aplies to all three incidents of eurs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. after reading all this!!! my heart is broken and i am going to get drunk!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor India, my developing India (from Independence) will never change if the political and administrative systems are not changed..

    1. The ministers never will know this pain until they are made to wait like us..

    2. Good example for "Generation Gap"..

    3. Guys can indeed sit in a ladies' seat provided no women is there.. And I seriously suggest you to talk up to those morons (unless they are ill or old) when you get the next chance..

    Btw guys in Chennai get up from ladies' seat because they know what will happen if they don't do that ;-P lol

    ReplyDelete

Pages